I went to visit a couple of intrepid gentleman/woman farmers growing the fungal equivalent of gold. Black truffles sell for $500-800 per pound. You have to have dogs to hunt the truffles growing on the roots of the trees. (Not even the French use pigs anymore, I hear.) And you have to be very patient because it takes eight years for a tree to actually produce a truffle. Eight long years of pruning and weeding and irrigating. And playing fetch with bits of truffle hidden around the house to train your dog.
Since I was on my best behavior, I was being very nice to the dogs despite my very strong aversion to canines. I really, really, REALLY do not like them. But my performance was apparently worthy of an Oscar because one of the truffle people said "Wow, you're a real dog person too, aren't you?" She couldn't see how I was gritting my teeth behind my smiling lips.
Here are a few photos:
Hallie the retriever mutt is sniffing for truffles tangled in the roots of oak and hazelnut trees that have been inoculated with the fungus and planted like an orchard.
When the proud farmer handed me a truffle and told me to inhale it's "aroma" I obeyed. And then I told him it smelled like puppy breath. Or feet.
Snack time with the truffle people is butter mixed with bits of smelly feet on a slice of bread. It actually tastes better than it smells. Which is a good thing, since a little fry-sauce cup of the truffle butter sells for $10!
Bonus of the day: I found a Goodwill in the tiny town where the truffle people live. Small-town thrift stores are always full of gems. This one had a pair of trousers in a cut that I absolutely love but hardly ever find. They're men's - made by Jordache (how's that for a blast from the past?) - and probably 20 years old. Flat front, wool blend, side pockets, belt loops, straight legs and very long. Years ago I found another pair just like them and they get me more compliments than anything else in my wardrobe.

A successful day all around!

2 comments:
Hmm, if I came across a truffle accidently I would of passed it up thinking it was something undesireable left in nature by an animal! It's all in the eye and taste of the beholder! Interesting.
YOU DON'T LIKE DOGS???
Post a Comment