Saturday, July 4, 2009

Celebrating my independence

July 4th is my favorite holiday. There's no pressure to give and receive gifts. The food is fresh and low-maintenance. The weather is nearly always perfect for hiking, biking, walking, swimming.

Last night the Charlotte symphony did a patriotic pops concert in the park followed by fireworks. I've never been a fan of the do-it-yourself fireworks, but I love a good professional display - especially with musical accompaniment.


(Taken by camera phone, but you can sort of see the huge crowd. They did the display a few miles from my house.)

Plus, July 4th always falls on or near the start of the Tour de France - my favorite 3-weeks of summer!


So far it's been another great holiday - I slept in, watched the final games of the Serena/Venus Wimbledon final, went for a long walk, took a dip in the pool and read my book in the shade for an hour before the loud music and beer brigade arrived, and now I'm reading Tour de France updates and getting ready to watch a DVD I rented from the library.

Oh, and the weather is PERFECT. It's been so dry here lately I've almost forgotten how miserably humid Charlotte normally is. The weatherman say reality is just a few days away, but at this moment I could not be more content.

No comments: