Monday, June 15, 2009

Nice night. Not a nice occasion.


The Charlotte Symphony performs a free pops concert in the park every Sunday night in June. It's a lovely chance for a picnic with 10,000 of your closest friends. I've always had a weakness for classical music in the park. The Provo Symphony used to do a pops show when I was growing up. The best part was when the conductor came down off the stage during the Sousa march to lead all the kids in a conga line through the crowd. The Classical Pied Piper.

Last night, my friend Jenny made the concert an excuse for her friends to come say goodbye. She moves to Charleston in two weeks. I'm going to help her load and unload the truck. And I plan to visit regularly. And it will be nice to have a place to stay on a beach weekend. But I will miss her tremendously. She's a great walking partner, yoga pal, movie buddy, theater date and conversationalist. Plus, she's got an incredible knack for making lasting connections with people. She works very hard at it. I wish it would rub off on me.

No comments: