A gas station on the North Carolina coast this week sold premium for $.35 at one of its pumps for an ENTIRE DAY before the folks inside figured out why there was such a long line at that one pump. A computer error had dropped the 3 that was supposed to come in front of the price.
(Read the story here.)
All day long people lined up at that pump to buy the ridiculously cheap gas and NOBODY said anything to the folks inside. Granted those inside folks weren't too quick on the uptake. Not until 6 p.m. did they notice that one of their pumps had a line backing up traffic on the street.
I have so many questions. How did people figure out the gas was mis-priced at that one pump? Were people calling their friends and family to get down to the BP on the corner? I bet they were all "Girl, get there fast before they figure out what's up! And fill up the portable gas cans in the garage, too. Hurry before they figure it out!"
I bet they were thinking "Gas prices these days amount to highway robbery so this is just karma. Nothing wrong with getting while the getting's good!"
I'm sure none of them thought the gas station was just being generous on purpose.
I wonder if any of them felt even the tiniest bit guilty.
And the main question I have is, what would I have done? I'm that customer who demands the price marked on the shelf, even if the stocker put it in the wrong place. So maybe I would have jumped in line - maybe even driven around the block a few times to make some extra room in the tank - for the miracle-price gas.
On the other hand I probably would have at least mentioned something to the cashier - after filling up, of course! It would have been hard to stay silent, don't you think?
Incredible that between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. no one said a peep.
No comments:
Post a Comment