I dreamed of being Julie Andrews as a child. And a teenager. And even today, I dream that dream. Though I don't dress up in flowered skirts and twirl around in the backyard singing "The Hills Are Alive" anymore - at least not when the neighbors are watching. But I had no idea she had such a dreadful childhood. A vaudeville performer feeding her family from her early teens' a drunken and abusive stepfather - even the botched surgery that ruined her singing voice. How she's managed not to go off the deep-end is amazing, and only makes me love her more.
Normally I wait for books to come out in paperback or hit the bargain table before I buy them. I think Dame Julie merits a full-price purchase. Even better - I might just buy the audiobook, which she narrates herself!
Listen to the lovely Julie interviewed by Terry Gross today on NPR.
No comments:
Post a Comment