
A stranger emailed me today because he heard I'd moved from Salt Lake City and he has friends trying to convince him to move out there. What's the appeal? he wanted to know.
Five years ago, I would have said "Nothing. Your friends are crazy, man. Don't go!"
It took some time, but I eventually had a change of heart and really warmed to Salt Lake during the six years I was there. Today emailing about Salt Lake's great hikes just minutes from town, multiple independent movie theaters, killer indie music scene, solid selection of ethnic restaurants and general affordability, I got positively mushy on the poor guy.
Not once since I moved to Charlotte have I been homesick for SLC. (Not counting the second day here when it was 30 degrees, I had the flu and I dropped my mom off at the airport to face the city all alone. ) I've been completely content with my new town for more than two months now. Probably because the people are so nice and the climate so pleasant and my great little duplex has a front stoop and a huge tree in the yard.
But today, emailing a stranger about Salt Lake City, I felt the tiniest twinge of longing. Mostly for the hikes and the independent movies theater. (I miss my family a lot, but that's not what we're discussing here, and webcams makes the distance much more bearable.)
Salt Lake really is unique for its big city amenities, remarkable beauty and recreation opportunities. Sure it has religious tensions and idiosyncratic laws - but I'm pretty convinced Mayberry does, too.
Now don't get jealous on me, Charlotte. Truth is I'm warming to you much faster than I did to Salt Lake City. Five years from now, we'll be friends for life.
And if you ever get the chance to visit or move to Salt Lake City, do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment