Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Holding My Breath

Play in the ocean long enough and you'll learn that sometimes a wave is just too big. Anything smaller and you can probably paddle fast enough to catch the swell on a boogie board or body surf it stiff-as-a-board. But when that wave you thought was manageable from a distance suddenly rises up like the Titanic a few hundred yards away, there's really only one choice: wait until it's nearly on top of you, take a deep breath, plug your nose and dive as far down as you can and wait it out.

If you get far enough down, you'll miss all the turbulent spinning water and come out unscathed, if a little breathless, once the big one passes over you. I learned that lesson playing in the ocean at grandma and grandpa's house. And this week I'm putting it to good use - minus the saltwater and sand in my swimsuit.

A wave of work deadlines, church responsibilities and personal drama is crashing on top of me and I'm just holding my breath, knowing it will move on if I tread water long enough.

No comments: