Less need for electricity, more light for school kids walking home . . . whatever. Daylight savings is an elaborate excuse to mess with our internal clocks. The older I get, the harder it is for me to adjust to this spring-forward-fall-back routine. I've not been able to fall asleep or wake up on time since we switched the clocks on Sunday.
What makes even less sense, however, is the fact that I can travel all the way to the other side of the world, crossing enough time zones to lose an entire day and not experience jet lag. Only once or twice have I been awake at 3 a.m. in a distant hotel room watching soap operas in a foreign language. But as a rule, international travel doesn't phase me.
And yet one measly little hour twice a year ruins my sleep patterns. I should have moved to Arizona where they don't need to move their clocks for an extra hour of sunlight. I bet they sleep well, too.
(Note: According to infoplease.com Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation), Hawaii and the territories of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa do not observe daylight savings time. My grandparents were onto something when they retired to Kona!)
No comments:
Post a Comment