Sunday, March 2, 2008

Suffer the Little Ones

The CTR6 Manual said to give each child a small gift at the start of class to illustrate how God does nice things for us. I'm just a substitute and first-time primary teacher, so who was I to question the manual? I did know enough to give the kids something that wouldn't make noise or get them hopped up on sugar. I opted for a pretty yellow daffodil instead - mainly because that's what I had on hand.

The flower exercise was the beginning and the end of anything productive during the lesson.

Kid A was the first to discover the pollen inside the daffodil - and to discover that it would stain her dress. Kid B was the first to mangle his and complain about flower juice on his fingers. Kid C tried to eat hers. After 15 minutes of begging, I managed to distract them briefly with some songs. But there was very little substantive learning going on, I'm afraid.

Kid A was far more interested in telling us how she reads on a second-grade level, even though she's only in kindergarten. Then she proved it by reading aloud from the scriptures she carries in a fuzzy pink princess purse. Kid B wouldn't stop talking about how his dad promised him that if he does well in kindergarten they will ride an airplane for two hours to Florida to see where the space shuttles launch. And Kid C doesn't speak. She only yells or sings opera-style. I must admit I was impressed with her big voice and creativity.

One hour is a very long time to command the attention of five-year-olds.


I was supposed to teach them how Heavenly Father watches over them. I really hope He wasn't watching today.

1 comment:

Tonia Conger said...

Oh man! I feel for you. If I were to change one thing about teaching children it would be that you attack them in twos. You needed a teaching partner to help you tie them up and threaten them.