Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Swinging My Way to Work

I'm falling in love with jazz again. Sometimes - often lately - it's just too stressful listening to the news on my way to work. I've been listening to "Carolina's Jazz" public radio instead. They play less of the jammy-fusion jazz and more of the straight-ahead swing I like. Lots of sultry singers riffing on classic tunes I know from years of shared listening with my two grandpas.

Gayle introduced me to Piano Jazz with Marion McPartland and used to send me sheet music and tracks I could play along with during my failed attempt to become an improvisational jazz pianist.

Grandpa Jack taught me to love to swinging dance hits. When we'd visit their house in SoCal, he'd hit the electric organ, martini in hand, after dinner on warm summer nights. I'd read a book on the couch as he worked his way through dozens of standards. I can still seem him humming and laughing as he played, totally absorbed and getting a huge kick out of the music.
It's like I get a little moment with my grandpas every morning when I tune to Carolina's Jazz for the ride to work.

No comments: