Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Weather Update

Maybe you heard about the killer thunderstorms/tornadoes that whipped through part of the south last night tearing people's roofs off and killing dozens? Those storms have arrived in Charlotte. It's pelting heavy droplets outside and an hour ago the wind took hold of my big city-issue garbage can, throwing it against my backdoor. Didn't hit the window, luckily.

The weathermen - whom we know are ALWAYS trustworthy! - say tonight's storm in NC shouldn't be nearly as nasty as the one people suffered in KY, TN, MS, AK and AL last night.

For that, we can thank the gray skies.

Apparently heavy cloud cover stabilizes the atmosphere - or at least minimizes the instability a cold front needs to turn into a nasty thunderstorm. Don't quote me on the details, but that's the gist of what I was told by a meteorologist for the National Weather Service today. Cloud cover = calmer storms.

Being a sun-lover, I never thought I'd find myself grateful for a day of grim, gray skies.

No comments: