Thursday, February 14, 2008

I Heart Valentine's Day


My amazing coworkers brought tasty Valentine's treats that made a mess all over the break room and my keyboard. Though I suppose it's unfair to blame a helpless little cupcake for the mess on my keyboard. I'm rather irresponsible where treats are concerned.

I love Valentine's Day. Which is funny, since I'm surely the least romantic or sentimental person on Earth. Every guy I've dated will attest to that. It's the treats I love about Valentine's. Cupcakes and cookies taste better with pink frosting and sprinkles. And I'm addicted to cherry gummy hearts. You can only get them at Valentine's Day and I've spent the last month pulling into drug stores at random to get my fix. They've been upsettingly hard to find out here in Charlotte. This weekend I plan to hit all of the grocery and drug stores in a 5 mile radius of my house to stock up from the Valentine's discount aisle. Wish me luck.

I had a happy moment today remembering how my mom always made Valentine's Day special for us kids. Every February 14th, we could count on some kind of treat and a handwritten love note from Mom on our pillows when we got home from school. Usually the candy wasn't much to jump and shout about - red hots and those gross conversation hearts that taste like NECCO candy (my mom's favorite). And of course we were fresh off a day full of candy and treats from Valentine's festivities at school.

But Mom's Valentine was the best of all, because when she writes "I love you" in her messy cursive, she really means it.

No comments: