Part of me wants to believe that at 34, I'm too old to be living in a very large apartment complex populated entirely by single people and their dogs.Just to be clear, I have nothing against single people. And their dogs are fine, as long as they don't lick me, poop on my patio or swim in the pool. It's just that I'm not much of a neighborly person and having all of these people living so close to me - and in identical living quarters - feels a tad claustrophobic.
Every morning my neighbors come out of their same-as-mine apartments in various states of ready-for-work, dogs on leashes, coffee cups in hand and amble up and down the sidewalk giving Fido/Spot/Bruiser a last chance to pee before he's locked inside for the day. I spy on them from my window, making up stories about what they do for work (based on what they're wearing and how they walk), how long they've lived here and which neighbor they 're in love with.
The first thing my neighbor told me when I bumped into her with my arms full of boxes on moving day was that it was a pity I'd missed the neighborhood summer party two weeks back.
It was a toga party.
I'm 10 years out of college, 10 years into a career, owning my second home/condo and I've landed in Melrose Place. Heaven help me.
1 comment:
That's hilarious. Okay, it's hilarious for those of us not living in your shoes right now. I'm so sorry. A toga party. Who ever came up with that idea, and who are these people that actually agreed to it??? That doesn't do a good job of planting the seed of hope for future interactions with neighbors. I'll pray for you.
Post a Comment