I would have preferred to find it on my own, but there were dozens of logical places it could have been at Home Depot. I finally gave in and asked for help, but that's where the tricky part came in. . . I couldn't bring myself to tell the guy in the orange apron that I needed a STUDFINDER. It wasn't so much the asking, as it was the anticipation that he might come back with some wisecrack that would make me blush and feel like an idiot.
"Look no further baby, I'm standing right here."
"A studfinder? Oh, I can get you a studfinder."
"You having trouble finding a stud? Can't imagine that."
By the time I mumbled my request to the guy, I'd come up with so many possible cracks he might make, I couldn't even say the word STUDFINDER.
"Yeah, uh, I need to find one of those machines that help you find a 2x4 in a wall so you can hang stuff."
I'm such a chicken. If it even occurred to him to make a wisecrack, he didn't show it. Just led me right to the aisle with multiple STUDFINDERS from which to choose. Notice the slightly more sophisticated name of the one I got. Had I known I could ask for a STUDSENSOR I probably wouldn't have been so embarrassed!
This is why I needed it.
My bicycle is now conveniently - and space-savingly - hung from the ceiling of my storage room. And I only made two holes into studless drywall before finally hitting 2x4 jackpot. Turns out the StudSensor doesn't just find a stud and point to it. There are some skills required - skills I didn't quite master right off the bat.
Success in the end. Can't wait for the next project that requires locating a stud! (Go ahead, make that joke. I know it's killing you. . . the one about the single girl and her studfinder practically writes itself.)
No comments:
Post a Comment