Friday, January 6, 2012

One, two, cha-cha-cha

I had a nightmare last night about learning to dance from Louis Van Amstel – one of the professional stars on Dancing with the Stars.

Don’t get me wrong: I like Dancing with the Stars as much as the next fan of “there’s nothing else on so we may as well watch has-been Hollywood types make fools of themselves” TV shows. But I am not a fan of exercise classes that expect me to work up a sweat through dancing. I can never get the steps right fast enough – or remember the sequences long enough – to do more than get frustrated. It’s a brain workout, not a body workout. And when I’m at the gym, I want to turn my brain off and just let the legs pump.

So yesterday I saw a notice that this Dancing with the Stars expert Louis has a new workout program that incorporates dance steps and that he’s coming to Charlotte to debut it.

I shuddered at the thought - and then rather inexplicably had a nightmare about going to the class. All I can figure is that sometimes my subconscious fixates on stressful scenarios that play out in my dreams. Trying to keep up with a ballroom dance workout class certainly qualifies for the girl who misguidedly enrolled in Social Dance her first semester of college because she heard it was an "easy A" and ended up flunking.

No comments: