Sunday, April 18, 2010

Doing the 'Dew

I drink more Diet Mt. Dew than is good for me, but as long as the negative effects remain invisible, I manage to pretend one can a day isn't doing me any harm.

This week I had a scare that nearly made me swear it off, though: my urine turned fluorescent yellow -- the exact hue of Mt. Dew.

My first thought was that my body had finally absorbed all the yellow #2 dye and artificial sweeteners it take and had resorted to just passing the lemony-lime soda right on through without a second glance.

Before I poured the half-empty can on my desk down the drain, I consulted an expert just to be sure I wasn't overreacting.

Google quickly informed me that while glow-in-the-dark pee is not exactly normal, it's also not that big a deal and usually caused by too much Vitamin B.

I immediately remembered I'd started taking a new multi-vitamin this week and when I skipped it the next day (while still drinking Mt. Dew) my urine color was back to normal.

I'm so relieved to know I can keep on pickling my insides with carbonated, artificial beverages. Definitely gonna stop taking the vitamins, though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

W?HAT! You should take the vitamins, no matter what color, to supplement the Dew! Works for me!

Storm'n Normans said...

Vitamins schmitamins. I am just pleased with the urine update.

Annie said...

Keep with the vitamins Julie! They always make my urine strange in color. But so does asparagus and you don't stop eating that do you? Love you!