Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I should have stayed in bed

Years ago I had a boss who was into astrology. She spent six months blaming everything from a broken coffee maker to a death in the family on "Mercury in retrograde." It's apparently bad for planets to retrograde, whatever the heck that is. But I'm pretty sure the entire solar system was doing it today.

First off, it was raining very hard and wet. On the way to work I stopped at the ATM to deposit a check and couldn't remember my pass code. The same four digit code I've had for twenty years and today I could not come up with it. I tried several permutations - my mental block growing worse by the second - until the machine finally cried foul and kicked me off. I'm lucky it didn't eat my debit card on the spot. Later in the day - when I was desperate for cash (stay tuned) - I had to go inside the bank (does anyone even do that anymore?!) to make a withdrawal and have my passcode reset. I still can't remember what it was for the last 20 years. I'm not sure I ever will now.

So definitely an odd start to the day. But then, as I'm driving to an important meeting, I take a wrong turn and end up on a blocked road. No problem. I make a U-turn and my wheels go up on the shoulder of the road a couple of inches. In Utah this would not be a problem because the ground is hard clay and one heavy rain isn't enough to make more than the top few centimeters muddy.

In Charlotte, this is what happens.


A few do-gooders and some construction workers stopped to see if they might help, but realized no amount of pushing would change the fact that half of my car was sunk to the axle in the love child of quick sand and superglue. And I was late for a meeting it took 2 months to set up.

I had to beg a coworker to bring me the office car and then I dropped him off and then went to my meeting (20 minutes late) and then back to the scene of the crime to pay an ungodly sum for a tow-truck to lift my poor little Pontiac out of the mire. Not until the whole ordeal was through did the rain let up even a little bit.

And now I need an alignment.

Mercury and all his little buddies can just retrograde themselves right off a cliff.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

What a Horrible day!

Storm'n Normans said...

If I were aloud to use 4 letter words on this website - I would in your honor. That is just crap-ola! Love you.

Storm'n Normans said...

Oh man! I spelled "allowed" wrong! Son of a @#!**!

Tonia Conger said...

Oh man...sorry about the day. If it makes you feel any better, it's been snowing for two days straight and it took me 2.5 hours to drive from Spanish Fork to South Jordan (typically a 40 minute drive). I didn't require a tow truck or retrograding so you win. You win big!

Anonymous said...

I will add my "if it makes you feel any better" comment as well: It snowed ALL day yesterday and Frank cleared the driveway before he left for the temple in the morning. I cleared them again mid afternoon to remove the hugemongus barrier the snow plow kept depositing at our driveway access. Even with all that, in comes Frank and slides into the huge pile where all of OUR snow blowing had been deposited! It took Chris and his monster truck to pull him out!
Such is life -