Sometimes I can't bear to listen to NPR on my drive home because it feels too much like work.
That's when I switch to the oldies station. I gleefully discovered it's converted to constant Christmas music now - and they only play the good stuff. Just Bing Crosby, Andy Williams and the gang making every commute a mini Lawrence Welk Christmas Special. I've yet to hear even a single cover tune by a Top 40 band pollute the mix. There's even a baritone announcer who - no joke - breaks in with "And now, the number one hit at the North Pole!"
And no matter what it is, I always know the words. Bing and I harmonize down the freeway, going 75 mph, my shoulders twitching in time to the sleigh bells. The flourescent street lights start to seem like a sparkling strand strung just for the holidays. And every red or green traffic signal is a message to Santa in morse code.
Kinda like this video, except less psychedelic.
3 comments:
Jeez - that Christmas bug must have left some nasty bite mark.
Two tiny holes - like vampire fangs. Sucked the bah-humbug right out of me.
Yeah for you Juls! Hannah and I have been rockin to 1400am since the day after Halloween! Whenever Frank is in the car with me and listening he always plays his 'do you know who that is singing' game with me. Except I really don't care who it is singing and just wish he would just listen and let me keep singing uninterrupted!
Post a Comment