Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Blowing it in Public

It’s never boring when your job requires occasionally having your voice broadcast to the unknown ears of countless people who know more than you do. You try to be accurate in what you say. But like my dad constantly reassured me as a paranoid third-grader who refused to make a single mark on my assignment unless I knew it was absolutely THE RIGHT answer – Everyone makes mistakes. In fact, he would often add that being human means you’re supposed to make mistakes. Except that’s not how a lot of those nameless people on the other side of the microphone see it. And they like to point out your mistakes – often tersely.

So today I learned that I am not very clear on the different grammatical uses of “the least” vs. “the fewest.” And I was reminded (because it was no real secret) that I know diddlysquat about pro-football and can’t be counted on to get anything right when it comes to records, match-ups, playoffs and opponents.

I don’t know why I even bother.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I'll tell you why you bother--because you have the best voice ever! Remember when an un-named ex boyfriend used to call our apartment just so he could hear your voice on the answering machine? Let the public be idiots! We love you!