This is me flying blind with black-eyed peas. Shopping hungry was my first mistake. The second was assuming that buying black-eyed peas in the produce section meant they were freshly-cooked as opposed to canned. In fact they hadn't been cooked at all and tasted like a very mealy bean sprout when I popped some in my mouth. I planned to put them on some salad, like garbanzos. But plans changed when I realized they needed cooking and I was too hungry (impatient) to read up on the internet about proper black-eyed pea cooking methods.
I figured I could either boil or saute them. Sauteing seemed faster. But that only got them a little toasty and not nearly cooked. So now they are simmering in water and I have to go to bed in half an hour and I suspect they won't nearly be finished by then. Which means I'll just put them in tupperware and try getting them soft via microwave tomorrow. Not like I have much success cooking anything in the microwave (see previous post).
I'm afraid Paula Deen won't be hiring me anytime soon.
Black-eyed pea update: YUCK. Please, please, please follow a recipe if you ever attempt to cook them.
2 comments:
Our dinner tonight was BBQ and consisted of every kind of smoked meat imaginable, fried cauliflower, fried dill pickles, baked beans, and caesar salad. I am hating life with my tummy ache. Fried pickles? Who knew. The cauliflower was better.
fried pickles are spectacular. anything fried is good by me. tempura style - or southern style. i even like fried okra. i just don't think i'll try to make it. the black-eyed peas were disaster enough.
Post a Comment