
I have high hopes for the holidays in North Carolina. The White House is getting its tree here for the second year in a row. And when I heard about "Candelight Christmas Evenings" at the Biltmore House, I set my heart on a holiday visit to Asheville.
The smell of spicy mulled cider and the glimmer of tree lights makes me weak in the knees. But the Biltmore will have to have a holly jolly Christmas without me. They're charging $68 for a visit! I thought $40 was outrageous when I visited back in January. Yeah, the indoor bowling alley and gazillion opulently decorated rooms are cool. But even with white lights and roaming carolers, $68 is a bit much.
Then again, I've considered Disneyland a royal gyp ever since admission crossed the $50 threshold back when I was 12. The Biltmore could throw in some figgy pudding and a photo op with Anderson Cooper (Vanderbilt's grand nephew) and I'd still turn up my cheapskate nose.
Now I'm considering a trip to the botanical gardens here in Charlotte. I hear they make a Christmas tree out of orchids. And it only costs $10.
1 comment:
Yikes! Commercialism at its best, or worst! It was a very cool place to visit so I would be tempted if it wasn't 2 hours away as well. Break down and do your own decorating on a mini scale - tree and all! Love you
Post a Comment