Saturday, November 29, 2008

Chim-Chiminey Chim!

When I bought this condo, I thought the fireplace was a cool touch. I imagined I'd light a fire and wouldn't need to use my heater most cold winter nights. Me and my cup of tea, watching TV in front of a roaring blaze. Except I wasn't sure when the fireplace was last used and I was more than a tad nervous I might die of carbon monoxide poisoning. So I called in a chimney sweep.



Disappointingly. He didn't look a bit like Dick Van Dyke. Nor did he climb up on the roof. But he was thoroughly impressed with the five gallon bucketful of soot and ash he suctioned from my chimney with his big vacuum.

(This isn't the greatest pic because I felt foolish snapping it - so I took it secretly.)

With a green light on the fireplace, I realized I had no firewood. It was always just there in good supply when I was growing up. I had to buy mine in bundles at the hardware store, which amounts to about $3 a fire. A lot more expensive than running the heater when you break it down like. Kind of takes the fun out of it, actually. I scrounged up an old phone book and used the pages for kindling. The fireplace was quickly becoming a lot less idyllic than I'd pictured it.

Not to mention the crouching and coal-blowing it required.

Had to get my toes right up next to it to feel the heat.

It only roared for about 10 minutes, followed by a few hours of smoldering until I could safely close the flue. But the effect was nice while it lasted. Perfect for a chilly holiday weekend on the couch.

No comments: