Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fire in Aisle 16

When I saw the big red fire engine in front of the supermarket tonight, I figured some old lady had passed out with low blood sugar or a rambunctious kid cracked his head open on a corner of the meat counter.

It wasn't anything that dramatic at all. Unless you count five firemen all big and burly in their matching t-shirts and yellow fireman pants, suspenders swishing loosely around their hips dramatic.

I call it distracting.

There should be rules against entire trucks of handsome firefighters taking field trips to the local grocery store. My quick trip for a couple of forgotten items doubled in length with all the extra laps I was compelled to take around the produce aisle, smiling nonchalantly and trying not to stare. One of them did make eye contact and say hello. I looked away really fast and mumbled something back. Ugh. I might well have been back in high school, taking the long way to class just so I could pass in front of a cute boy's locker.

Someone told me once that firemen eat really well at the firehouse because they have nothing to do when they're on call except cook big meals and wait for something to go up in flames.

I suppose I'm happy they didn't have some poor victim's house to douse today. But really, couldn't they have sent just one distracting guy into the store? Preferably one wearing a wedding ring?

And after all my stalking, I didn't even get a glimpse at the food in their cart. Steak and potatoes, I'm guessing. I know they didn't buy much though - couldn't have been enough for more than one meal. Which means they'll probably be back at my grocery store tomorrow.

I'll be sure to comb my hair before I go.

3 comments:

Anita said...

You are hilarious! The visual imagery of your escapade to the store makes it seem like I'm there, too, and I admit that that would definitely be a big distraction to an otherwise boring shopping trip.

Anonymous said...

Something about men in uniforms! I fell for one as well! Might be a story waiting to be told about what fireman cook!

Tonia Conger said...

I can't believe they drive the fire truck to do grocery shopping. That's just...well, I guess it's smart. They probably get to part right up front at the curb!