Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sometimes they suprise you


When I get a greeting card, I skip right to the handwritten message. The poem or joke printed on the card usually disappoints, anyway. I picture cubicle farms filled with marginally clever people filling daily quotas of trite phrases for every occasion.

So when a birthday card arrived from my mom this week, it took me several readings to realize I was quite possibly the most inappropriate and unexpected card I could imagine coming from my conservative mom - short of one featuring a half-naked beefcake in a speedo. Thank goodness it wasn't that.

The note in my mom's handwriting is a funny apology about how she found it in a box of cards she picked up at a garage sale and decided I was the only person she could send it to appropriately. I don't know what that says about me, but I love her for saying it! The best part is that she signed her name and my dad's to the card. If it's surprising coming from my mom, it's inconceivable to get a risque card from my dad. I'm certain he didn't sign off on having his name attached to it! In fact, he's probably only now discovering the heresy as he reads this. Sorry Mom! Just wait to see what I send you on your birthday!

In other birthday news - this is the card my nephews sent. It's about 5 feet long and filled with drawings of their favorite sports teams. BYU and UofU figure prominently. Luckily I sold my kitchen table recently, so I have a big empty spot on the floor that's perfect for showing this off!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should congratulate ME for having confidence that you wouldn't be offended! Somewhere in the universe there is most probably a woman who purchased the card with the intent to send it to her best friend or her sister but chickened out and dumped it at a garage sale. I didn't know what a treasure I had until I was going through my box and found oodles of cards with soppy sweet nothings produced by a birthday card sweat factory!! At least it was a change from the usual ffr note!! love you

Julie said...

Yep, you deserve major kudos. I loved it. :)