Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Back to School

Today was my nephew's first day of the new school year in a new school. My sister posted a photo of him in his new school clothes, spotless new sneakers, ready to head out the door. She said he was so nervous/excited he was nauseous.

I miss that feeling. In all of my adult life I've never found anything that truly compares to the anticipation and anxiety I used to feel going back to school after a long summer of play. Planning the wardrobe. Packing and repacking the backpack. Memorizing my class schedule, locker number and combo when I got to high school.

The first day of a new job seems like the closest comparison, but it doesn't feel the same. Maybe it's because I know I'm gonna be at work way past 2:30 p.m. and I'm going to be expected to do real world stuff with real world consequences instead of practice problems in a workbook.

And there's no chart on the wall of my cubicle with little stars and smiley faces to chart my progress toward year end, when I get another 2 months of glorious summer vacation.

No comments: