I've been missing the mountains something fierce - and mostly it's the easy access to hiking. Something about trekking up a hill puts things in place for me. But good hiking spots are so easy to find around here. Finally yesterday a friend took me to a place about 30 miles away with a nice two mile climb up to this overlook. We sat on some craggy rocks on a little bump of a hill in a sea of trees and ate trail mix. I expected to be able to see roads, buildings and other landmarks I recognized. We couldn't see anything but trees - not even the trail we came up on or the main road leading to the trail head. It was really disorienting and makes me wonder how birds ever manage to find their nests around here.
It also makes me think I should take up tree climbing rather than hiking. Then I could just amuse myself with the monster of a tree right in my own front yard.
3 comments:
julie,
niel says to put the green back in your picture (the one w/lyle)
he says it funnier that way.
melanie
glad you found some pile of rocks to climb on out there.
i've been here 8 years and i still haven't tackled all of mt olympus. perhaps this year?
...apparently, i thought i was done with that post?
the artist friend who painted that lyle pic told me it would look better in b/w and he's a graphic designer so i told him i'd give it a try. i thought the green was cool, too. so we'll see. i may be changing it back - against the artist's wishes!
mt. olympus is a great hike and a tough one too - so go for it!
Post a Comment