Tuesday, May 20, 2008

David v. David

American Idol is a contrived piece of television trash that has nothing to do with quality music. And yet I've seen nearly every episode this season - please don't ask me why because I'm at a loss to explain. I gripe and groan and roll my eyes through every show. I mock the judges. I stomp around the house in anger when America inevitably chooses another loser to survive the cut.

But you know how you can only take a person's complaining so long before you just want to punch her in the stomach and tell her to get a grip or do something about it already? I hit that point tonight and for the first time EVER, I actually voted in American Idol. Or rather, for the first time every, I actually
attempted to vote for an entire hour but the lines were busy.

I wasn't voting because I like either of the Davids. I'll never buy the albums they're bound to record on the heels of Idol fame.

Still, given the chance to vote for a vanilla rocker over a cheesy, falsetto-voiced kid who reminds me of the Sunshine Generation (it's a Utah thing), I felt I had to do my part for the world of rock.

Besides, rocker boy ended with a Collective Soul tune and can actually play an the guitar. Even if I had gotten through on the phone, I imagine my votes would have been in vain - treacly pop is bound to win in the end.

The best outcome would be if both Davids lost and we stopped wasting our time with this overwrought musical nonsense.

No comments: