Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A peaceful coexistence


Frequently a long-legged spider will greet me in the shower, usually dangling from an invisible thread below the soap holder.

We have an agreement. The spider is welcome to share my shower. If it can survive the down pour like the itsy bitsy spider from the song, more power to him. The smart ones hunker down beneath the soap holder and wait. Most don't run for cover in time and end up mangled with my tangled hair on the drain basket.

Is this humane? I'm not sure, but it seems just as bad as chasing/smashing the spider before I shower. At least this way I'm giving the smart ones a fighting chance at survival, right?
There are other critters that don't get such kind treatment. Take the giant cockroach/beetle thing I caught crawling on my kitchen counter the other night when the dead battery beeps from a fire alarm pulled me out of bed at 3 a.m.

That cockroach when straight into the toilet, but swam so hard against my repeated flushes that I final gave up and left him floating in the bowl. The next morning I peeked under the lid and happily saw that he was gone, only to discover him crouched at the lip of the seat waiting for a chance to escape.

Sorry little sucker. I made sure he went down the drain for sure then.

1 comment:

jen said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I'd STILL be screaming and freaking out like a little girl. You are much braver than me.