Saturday, September 12, 2009

Wiccans in the Park

At the moment I write this, there are witches in the park a few miles away chanting in circles. One even has deer antlers strapped to his head, but since he's a HE, I'm not sure if he's a witch? What do you call a male witch?

More to the point, who would have thought the Wiccan Church of Charlotte would organize a Pagan Pride Day and set up booths in a high-traffic family park to sell animal bones, crystals and other witchcraft must-haves on a hot Saturday?


My friend Jenny and I were on a walk there just now and it was an enormous thrill to stumble on such an odd event. They're even offering workshops all day long. I really wished I'd stashed my camera in my running shorts.

I passed on the chance to buy a spell-casting kit, but I'm sure the day will come that I'll kick myself for that.

4 comments:

Storm'n Normans said...

Colby would have been in high heaven! He LOVES that kind of freaky cool stuff. He loves to collect animal bones from the sheep fields across from our house. The bones stay outside little man.

Anonymous said...

I sooo would have loved seeing the deer headed wican fellow! What reporter worth her salt takes a walk without her camera?

jk!

Annie said...

Wizard? Or maybe warlock? Pretty sure male-witch is not proper. Of course you were thrilled to have stumbled upon that! Do you carry money in your running shorts?

Julie said...

Let's just say witches are not as hot looking as the three on Charmed. And the $5 I had in my pocket was enough to get me home in a pinch but would never cover the cost of a spell-casting kit!

P.S. I think Warlock is right, Annie! Or Witchman?