And today I get this announcement in my inbox:
SUBJECT: THE OAK RIDGE BOYS TO PARTICIPATE IN 2009 SXSW MUSIC FESTIVAL
The Oak Ridge Boys! In ALL CAPS!! I thought it was a prank, since I was pretty certain the Oak Ridge Boys were all dead. But apparently they're alive and kicking and somehow talked their way into a performance at THE festival of the independent music scene where they will giveaway free Oak Ridge Boys Blu-Bocker Magnum sunglasses to the first 200 registrants at their show. SERIOUSLY.
No disrespect to the Oak Ridge Boys, because I actually like them - or used to when I was 8 and Dad would play their record while we did chores. I loved lipsynching along with those RIDICULOUS oom-pah-pah-mow-mow bass notes on Elvira and watching them perform on PBS concert specials during their heyday.
But this is 2009 people. I don't care that Jonas Brothers generation doesn't know The Oak Ridge Boys from the Beastie Boys. Newsflash: You do not magically become an indie band just because nobody buys your records anymore.
SXSW is now dead to me.
3 comments:
AMEN!
~b
It is the end of our world as we know it.
Now I have Elvira running through my head...ugh.
And now i feel like a sell out. I'm going to SXSW for work. We are taking our little screen printer to a party where bands I'VE NEVER HEARD OF will play.
I'll return and report.
Post a Comment