Friday, June 20, 2008

The Queen of Cool


When my middle sister was a teenager, she had a moody side and the lip color to match. It was a drug store variety called "Real Raisin" and we teased her about it all the time. All these years later, would you believe that my lipstick - the one I absolutely must have on to feel even remotely attractive - is nearly the exact hue of Real Raisin?

I tell you this to illustrate how my sister has been setting an example for me for many years - even when I didn't know it.

When she became the first of the siblings to marry, I thought she was doing it way too young. But here's the thing: over the last ten years she has become the most remarkable mother, wife, daughter and sister.

I love talking to her. I love spending time at her house. I love the warm and fun-loving atmosphere she fosters. I love how she treats her darling sons like conspiratorial best friends and teaches them to live full lives. I love her new blog! I love how she geeks out over a new computer game or gadget. I love the way she gets giddy about a new recipe and slaves for hours to bring us gourmet delights. I love that she has a movie-grade popcorn machine and a huge candy dispenser in her house and a penchant for karaoke and Guitar Hero. I love that she's always the one instigating a family get together, a sister's night out, a treat for mom. I love how she remembers everyone's birthday and makes each one special.

I don't know how she does it. I do know that every time I'm with her I want to be a better me. And if that's not the most amazing gift a person can have, I don't know what is.

Happy Birthday Liz.

2 comments:

Storm'n Normans said...

You are WAY to generous with your complements, but they make me smile all the same. Thank you - Liz

Kim said...

I have to admit I occasionally "blog stalk" you. (Is it considered stalking if Liz told me to check your blog out because she knew I'd enjoy reading what you write?) I loved your little birthday post to Liz! I think she's as adorable, fun-loving, and amazing as you say she is! She's a great friend among all those other things! Sorry to be so random, but I couldn't resist a comment on something I totally agree with. :)