Saturday, March 27, 2010

Catching up

A pattern has developed: The weeks seem to swallow me whole and leave me sputtering with relief by Friday night. Come Saturday morning all I want to do is lie in bed reading. Then I remember I haven't blogged all week. Where did the time go?
So here's a quick report of the highlights.

Wednesday night I taught the pre-teen church girls about money management. They had to figure out how to spend a month's salary of $1,200 and still cover all their expenses. (Congratulations! You've just graduated from college, found your first job, got your first pay check and moved into your own place. Now go find out for yourself why being a responsible adult is overrated!)

Most of them decided to buy just one week's worth of groceries for the month "Because I'm small, so I don't eat much." That left them with more money for shopping and movies.

The number one complaint of the night (heard from multiple girls):

"This is so unrealistic because I'm going to make way more money as a movie star/pro soccer player/fashion designer/best-selling author. And I'll be famous so people will give me stuff for free."

Yeah. No wonder the nation had a negative savings rate until the recession hit.

On Thursday night I gave a "speech" to a group of really impressive women executives. I use "speech" loosely here because it was really more of a 20-minute ramble during which I shared way too much information. People said nice things afterward and my boss (who was the only man in the room) didn't fire me. So I guess it went okay. I stressed about that gig for a year. The fact that they gave me a year's notice only made it worse. I do much better when you spring things on me last minute. Less time for the worry machine inside my head to do it's magic.

Today my dear friend Jenny is coming up from Charleston. Here we are walking one of the bridges down there on my last visit in October.
This afternoon we're going to the new modern art museum (this will be visit #4 for me - I love the place!) Later on, we'll head to the skating rink for the 40th birthday party of my boss' wife. I got the invite when I told him I celebrated my 30th at the skating rink. Great nerd minds think alike.

No comments: