
There are very few people from high school or college with whom I am still in touch at the age of 35.
This is one of the reasons I resist Facebook. Once I'm on the site, I know all of the people I knew at Provo High and BYU will find me. I'll be obliged to account for the last 20 years of our lives. The Christmas cards will start up again and the "Hey, we're going to be in Utah for the holidays, want to get together?" invitations.
I know I won't be able to muster the energy to keep up the charade. I'll stop responding to the emails and the Christmas cards will come later and later into the New Year before stopping altogether. And then they'll remember me as a jerk, rather than a curious "I wonder where she is now?" afterthought.
On the otherhand, my youngest sister Laura turned 28 yesterday and she is still in touch - very closely so - with many, many people she knew at 16. She still sees them when she comes home for a visit, her husband and 2 year old in tow. They come visit her in a distant state. She sends cards and gifts and remembers their birthdays. And I feel compelled on the day after her own birthday to tip my hat to my little sister.
She is the most devoted friend I've ever known and I'm lucky to have her as a sister. Even when I'm a little distant and lazy in our relationship, she never lets me slip too far.
I love you Laura. Happy Birthday.
1 comment:
You pegged her perfectly,as you always do of course. I wish I was better at keeping friends close.
Post a Comment