Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lovely listening

Since few bands of interest come through Charlotte, (and the American Idol superstar tour doesn't count!) I don't spend a lot of time seeking new stuff these days. But I do listen to the weekly NPR Music podcast and today discovered a lovely album I can't help but recommend.

Sparklehorse and Danger Mouse have collaborated for Dark Night of the Soul which is basically a bunch of Sparklehorse songs sung by a rotating cast of cool voices including Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips) and Frank Black (The Pixies).

It's truly lovely. But it's also truly hard to come by legally right now because of some dispute with the record label. Apparently if you buy the CD, it'll come blank.

But you can listen to the whole thing
online here.

P.S. Filmmaker David Lynch make a book of photos inspired by the album lyrics which is equally hard to come by, but supposedly really cool.

No comments: