Friday, May 29, 2009

I live in a weird place

My neighbor is selling his place with a flyer that boasts "a large panty in the kitchen."

It's either an unfortunate typo or an unsettling personal detail meant to intrigue a certain type of buyer.


That type of buyer would no doubt be very happy here. He/she would be neighbor to a guy who routinely throws large parties in the shared-yard off my quiet little patio. Hordes of gussied-up 30-somethings stand around with beers reminiscing about their college days, tossing bean bags and playing drinking games.

In the summer, the same nostalgic-for-the-frat-party crowd migrates to our pool - beer still in hand - to talk loudly while their skin burns. They are joined by an older set - mostly middle-aged men - who miss their college days even more and make up for it flirting with girls half their age and talking slang twice as loud. With beer in hand, of course.

Home from work early today, I made my first pool foray of the summer hoping for peace and quiet to study my latest Newsweek. It was before 5, so I thought everyone would still be at work.

Wrong. I fled after an hour.


Besides, some crazed little yippy dog (I could tell it was small by the high-pitched bark) was yammering nonstop on the patio of a condo overlooking the pool. Not once in 9 months have I seen at child in this condo complex, but everyone has a dog.

No dog, no beer, no sorority membership, no panty in my kitchen. . . I really, really don't fit in.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow...I don't know if I would survive in that world. However it is out here to just not in my little fourplex...there is no pool or patios for that matter.

Julie said...

The pool and patio are great. But there's definitely a price. *sigh* Mostly I'm not home much and when I am I'm either out jogging or holed up watching TV, so I rarely notice the weirdness of my surroundings. Today was the exception. I make a better hermit than a socialite.

Annie said...

Oh Kevin and I laughed about the panty all night long! He mentioned that "large" and "panty" should never be paired together.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it's a pretty clever hook to get someone in to look at the condo! I would LOVE to see the 'large panty'! why don't you ask him/her for me and take a pic?
heehee

Julie said...

The only thing worse that "panty" I've seen - and this is one I see a lot, I'm afraid to say - is ads misspelling "public."

As in, "condo complex features large pubic space."

I frequently get announcements at work for "pubic meetings" to discuss various issues. I always decline.