Sunday, February 5, 2012

Feeding my Sunday Sugar Craving

On a chilly Sunday afternoon my church duties are done, my nap is over and I've practiced the accordion as long as my shoulders will allow, it's time to try a new cookie recipe. This one came from a Gooseberry Patch recipe book, but I tweaked it a bit. I'm incapable of sticking to a recipe 100% - even if I have all the right ingredients to do it by the book. Half the fun is the experimentation. And when it goes badly, nobody has to know!

These, by the way, did NOT go badly at all. They're amazing.

Brown Sugar-Apple Cookies
1 c. brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. shortening (I used 1/4 c. shortening and 1/4 c. cream cheese)
2 t. vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour (I used 1 c. whole wheat flour, 1 c. white flour)
1 c. apples, cored, peeled and sliced (I used more - maybe 2 cups?)
Chopped pecans (These weren't in the recipe, but everything's better with nuts!)


Mix together all ingredients, stirring in apples last. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 3-1/2 to 4 dozen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely yummers! I think I'll give the a try!