Monday, March 28, 2011

They don't make 'em like they used to . . .


One of the 10 channels I get with my TV antenna has started showing nonstop sitcoms from the 60s and 70s. . . The Dick Van Dyke Show. Mary Tyler Moore. Taxi. The Odd Couple.


I've never seen any of these shows and I can't get enough of them! There's something so homey and relaxing about their slapstick story lines and old-fashioned values. (Okay, Taxi's a bit more risque, but it was the predecessor to Cheers, which is the earliest sitcom I can remember watching while it was still in production. Cheers is still very nostalgic for me. It and the Cosby Show were sacred viewing hours in our house.)


I remember loving sitcoms reruns from an even earlier era when I was a kid. . . Bewitched, The Beverly Hillbillies, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island and especially Gidget. In the summertime my siblings and I would roam the neighborhood from sun-up until 2 p.m. when we planted ourselves on the floor in front of the TV for several hours of our favorite sitcom reruns.


If my TV could pick up a channel playing those shows today, I just might never leave the house.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I spent a lot of time watching Cosby Show reruns after Leo was born. I was amazed at how funny it was!