Sunday, January 27, 2008

In the 'hood

I'm going to steal this sign and hang it in my kitchen. It's so vintage-cool, it makes the neighborhood sound a little less like a retirement complex.


Sedgefield. Some very smart people bought acres upon acres of land back in the 50s and built little cottages all over it. They started renting them out and today the land is worth who-knows-how much. It's just a few miles from the heart of Charlotte's Uptown and sandwiched between a couple of upscale neighborhoods (Dilworth and South End). Word is the smart owner-people have plans to develop it with condos and retail pretty soon. Now that Charlotte's the new hot place to live and property values are high. But for now, they rent the cute little duplexes on the cheap to folks like me .


Look, I have a porch!

And a big huge shade tree in my front yard. And I have a really long driveway that leads to my kitchen door in back. And from there you can see the enormous stretch of grass the houses on my street share with the houses on the next street over. I imagine there's all kinds of barbecuing and frisbee fun going on out here in the warmer months. And I imagine I'll spend my share of time kicking back on my porch on hot summer nights reading.

I love the stately trees along my street. Can't wait to see them all dressed up with leaves and blossoms in the spring. Not sure if these trees are the blossoming type, but with a name like Sedgefield, there ought to be blossoms, don't you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like my neighborhood. it's very cute and homey.

-m

Anonymous said...

i just relaized that you may not know who i am under my blog name. sorry.

melanie franti

Jeff said...

I'm loving this Blog Julie. Terri and I now do much of our shopping at Trader Joe's. She loves it, and is a Utah convert to TJ's.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I was able to scope out the area with you so I am oriented when I read your blog. My favorite TJ snack are the almonds dusted with barbeque powder. Yum!

love you