Sunday, January 20, 2008

Helpful Tips for Cross-country Moves


This is my very first blog. I realize I'm a bit behind the times, but until now, I've never had a compelling reason to start one. Then I uprooted my life in Utah and moved 2,000 miles across the country, leaving all of my family and friends behind. Distance compels me to enter the blogosphere. I will attempt to post frequent updates here on my new life in North Carolina for all of those friends and family I left behind. *sigh* So for my blogging debut, I give you these tips for following in my footsteps:

1. U-Pack is for pros! Packing all of my earthly belongings into a metal cube 6 x 7 x 8 feet was sobering. After 33 years, shouldn't I have accumulated a bit more?! A wise friend quipped "True joy increases as the size of the box decreases."

2. Books-on-tape are an excellent way to pass the time on marathon drives. Provided, of cou
rse, you listen to the chapters in the order they were written. I do not recommend listening to them in random order - say if your ipod is accidentally set to "shuffle." That will create all kinds of confusion. Just ask my mom, who can speak from a full day's listening experience. Oops!

3. Look for oddities along the way. Who knew the largest cross in the Western Hemisphere is in Groom, TX? And made of steel, to boot!

4. If you undertake the drive with a companion, choose someone with a bladder-size comparable to yours. I'm not sure how you would measure this in advance. But I lucked out with my mom along for the ride. Plus, it's a nice break from driving to stop every 1 1/2 hours. And incidentally, if your companion has a cold, you will catch it from her, no matter how strong your immune system or infrequently you get sick. The nettipot is my new best friend.

5. It is a small, small Mormon world. A quick search on a Mormon networking site put me in touch with my new friend Angela who found me the best little apartment in Charlotte. It's cheap and close to lots of neat neighborhoods. And I was able to rent it without having to fly out and drive the streets searching "For Rent" signs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend renting a place sight-unseen. But thanks to Angela and the World Wide Mormon Web, things worked out swell for me! (Photos and apartment details will come in a later post.)

8 comments:

Paul Ferney said...

Glad things have worked out so far. Keep the posts coming...

Frank Rose said...

We love our Julie/LauDa and we continue to appreciate her remarkable sense of humor. Dee Dee and got a big chuckle out of this blog !
At our group dinner (on Friday night) there was general lamenting that they/we will not be able to listen to our Julie on KCPW anymore. But that's life and it's progress if you are happy. . .
-Dad

Tonia Conger said...

Yay Julie! I can't wait to hear about all the stuff you get to do and see in N. Carolina.
Nate and I are wishing you well!

brandi (and tim) said...

Welcome to the blogging world Julie! You can take over for us since we can't seem to keep up on it these days... Glad to hear you made it safe and sound to the east coast and we can't wait to hear more about your new adventures.

~b & t

Barowdwngs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barowdwngs said...

True happiness is a box about the size of JULIE. Hooray!... but if you don't have that then something the size of a computer and monitor to read her blog will do.

Glad you're spreading the Julie Gospel. Keep it up.

I'm going to go to the Built to Spill concert in tribute to all our good times. (I promise not to wear the Tori T-shirt).

Anonymous said...

Regarding your "Packing is for pros" segment. I am damaged by the fact you didn't honor YOUR packing pro by name.

Julie said...

Mea culpa. My brother Chris is the genius that made all of my stuff fit in the box without any of it breaking. Well almost. A few picture frames were sacrificed to the moving gods - but that was more my doing than Chris'.